Thursday, 14 May 2009

Eh? Speak up! ...


So I'm heading into my second week of employment ... and I'm really enjoying it! There's not as much to do as I'd like, but the people I work with are fun and laid back and it's just a nice place to work.

Best of all though, without a doubt, are the clients.

As I've told you, it's a private company that assists people with hearing problems; supplying hearing tests, the latest technology in hearing aids and service and maintenance of hearing aids ... so basically a large proportion of the clients are extremely old, extremely wealthy and extremely deaf.

There's a lot of comedy value right there.

Some of my favourites so far are:

Mrs Veg - 96 years old, looks like an albino Sun-Maid raisin but has more energy than I do. She pops into the office to bring us fresh vegetables from her garden and have a chat on her way to afternoon Bingo. Last week her daughter came in to pick up some hearing aid batteries for her and told us how her mother can't hear a word that's said at Bingo, especially the numbers being called out and had been known to shout "Bingo!" excitedly having completely misheard and therefore not actually having any of the winning numbers.

Mr Nagging-Wife - he came into the office last week saying that his hearing aid appeared to have broken. When this was confirmed and it was suggested he get a new one he hastily declined. Puzzled by his insistent refusal the dispenser asked him "But don't you want to be able to hear?", the man cast a look outside to where his wife sat waiting in the car, "Well you see" he answered carefully, "the thing about being able to hear is that it's not always convenient ... "

Mr Plummy - ex ac-TOR (don't get too excited, he's nobody famous), wears one of those tweed jackets (although he's the type who would look perfectly at home in a cravat and silk smoking jacket) with the patches on the elbows, speaks in a frightfully posh manner and comes across as very abrupt and rather rude, however he does have a wonderful way with telling stories; he came in today, bringing his beautiful Irish Setter dog with him. Of course we commented on how handsome he was (the dog - not Mr Plummy), only to be told:

"Yes, well we went to visit a friend of my wife's who had this big house, full to the rafters of bally dogs! I'd just sat down and was waiting patiently to be offered a glass of sherry when this chap came bounding over and immediately stuck his nose in my personal trouser area! I turned to Mary and said "Well, I suppose we'll have to take the bally thing home now!" Worst purchase I ever made, although they didn't charge me much for him, and just as well ... the bally thing's gay! Can't use him for breeding at all!"


But the winner of "Most amusing aurally-challenged wrinklie" goes to Mrs Anonymous, for the following telephone conversation:

Me: Good afternoon, *insert company name*, how can I help?

Mrs A: HELLO?

Me: Hello?

Mrs A: ARE YOU THERE?

Me: Yes, I'm here ... how can I help?

Mrs A: WHO'S THAT?

Me: I'm Kate, you've phoned *insert company name*

Mrs A: IS THAT *insert company name*?

Me: Yes, it's *insert company name*, how can we help you?

Mrs A: (increasingly irritably) I CAN'T HEAR A WORD YOU'RE SAYING!

Me: Oh! I'm sorry! Are you having trouble with your hearing aid?

Mrs A: YOU'LL HAVE TO SPEAK UP, I'M HAVING PROBLEMS WITH MY HEARING AIDS

Me: (trying not to giggle and speaking a little louder) Can I take your name please?

Mrs A: EH?

It doesn't help that I have a naturally soft voice, but I tried my best to talk as loud as I could without resorting to all-out shouting,

Me: WHAT. IS. YOUR. NAME. PLEASE?

Mrs A: NO. I THINK IT'S BROKEN

Me: I SAID WHAT IS YOUR NAME?

Mrs A: I LIVE IN ELY

Me: YES, BUT. WHAT. IS. YOUR. NAME?

Mrs A: MY PHONE NUMBER?

Me: (knowing we could trace her on our computer system by her phone number I saw this as a golden opportunity and grasped at it futilely) YES! OK! WHAT IS YOUR PHONE NUMBER?

Mrs A: (getting seriously riled) I CAN'T HEAR A WORD YOU'RE SAYING!

Me: (silently screaming/laughing hysterically) WHAT IS YOUR PHONE NUMBER? ... OR YOUR POSTCODE?

Mrs A: CODE? WHAT CODE? THEY DON'T HAVE CODES ON THEM!

Me: (rapidly losing the will to live) NO. YOUR POSTCODE ... WHAT IS IT?

Mrs A: (in a really irritated tone) OH, NEVER MIND! I DON'T KNOW WHY I BOTHER. YOUNG PEOPLE TODAY ARE SUCH MUMBLERS, YOU SHOULD SPEAK MORE CLEARLY, YOUNG WOMAN!

And she hung up on me!

Think I'm going to love this job :)




Also, here are some things that have made me laugh this week:


















Apparently Google had PMS or something ...









Google! How rude! ...












I NEED this t-shirt!









I swear I've worked in this office ... actually, that's me standing on the chair :/ ...





It's been a bad week for posting/commenting I'm afraid, but hopefully I'll soon be back on form ... it would really help if you lot didn't have such wonderful blogs and didn't keep posting awesome stuff that I'm compelled to read and then end up losing the precious time I would have spent compiling richly, comical posts for you!!!

Grrrrrrr ... yes, I blame you! Especially YOU!

Hope you're all having a great week :) x


Ps: Does anybody know what's happened to JP? (Joyless Prole ... aka Evil Superman ... aka Mr. Fancypants) :( Went to read his post and it said his account had been removed!! Was there some kind of memo that didn't hit my in-tray??






76 comments:

Dr Zibbs said...

Please take pictures of the old people.

Girl Interrupted said...

I'll try, Dr Z ... just for you! ;)

Eric said...

: )

Jesus saves and Girl Interrupted posts!!! Goal!

Such precious wrinkley stories, glad you are having fun.

Girl Interrupted said...

Ha! Clever, Eric! :P

lol thank you :)

Phat Mama said...

I lurve you, GI.

Girl Interrupted said...

Ha! I lurve you back, P Mama.

Lostinspace said...

I am so going to like your job. Priceless.

Vic said...

So funny!
I love old people. Did the lady on the phone ever call back? (You mumbler, you!)

I'm glad your job is working out well - I was thinking happy-job thoughts for you. :)

Anonymous said...

Mr Plummy is my favorite!

Don't worry about not posting everyday, I would gladly trade that luxury in exchange for the free daily entertainment you get!

You should record yourself slipping bad words in while talking to these idiots and post them on here!

diane said...

Please save all of your notes and stories about this new job; there's a very funny show in this somewhere. Something along the lines of Fawlty Towers, savvy?

J.J. in L.A. said...

I liked Mr. Nagging-Wife best, although, Mrs. Anonymous was pretty funny! I have an uncle like that. Can't here for sh!t but won't admit it. And yes, it's my fault...everything is.

Prometheus said...

lol hillarious. I guess you can try and get some sort of live chat online support for the hard of hearing. But then again I guess 80 year olds aren't internet users :(

Mr Nagging-Wife made me laugh. I hope that when I get married it doesnt turn out like that lol.

I too dont know what happened to Joyless Prole :( hopefully he comes back...

Coolred38 said...

Unfortunately several years ago I had a serious ear infection in both ears which resulted in perforated eardrums in both ears. It was about 2 t o 3 months before I could hear properly again (all though my right ear never came all the way back)...so for awhile there I was completely deaf...and to tell you the truth...when you have 5 kids...a little silence is nice now and then (now and then mind you...wouldnt want it a permanent thing).

words...words...words... said...

I love Mr. Plummy! "Personal trouser area" is entering my lexicon.

That conversation you had with the old lady is GOLD. It always comes down to kids today, doesn't it?

And lastly, to continue a theme in my blog this week, those t-shirt people stole from me! I made this picture in Photoshop several years ago and use it as an avatar sometimes on different websites:

http://img295.imageshack.us/img295/4450/jesussaves10x10xy6.jpg

Dominica said...

Mr Zibbs is saying what I am thinking !!
Yesterday India and Sebastian and I had a quick lunch (read : fingerfood) on one of the terraces downstairs at hour home and this witchy old lady passed by and my darlin' daughter took a pic of her ...Will post that pretty soon ! The best thing was, she had a bag on her saying : I HEART SHOPPING !!
Hilarious, will post it tonight if I don't forget !
I knew this job was something for you ; I would like to be one of the people working with you ; we could be in SO much trouble !!

The Jules said...

LOL!

I've always wondered why so many people with hearing aids don't switch the buggers on!

I also think it's once of the few perks of getting on in years that you can pretend to be deaf and annoy people.

The Jules

Hey, my verification word was "Yousmellabitlikecabbage". How apt.

~E said...

I know anonymous was funny but I totally vote for Mr. Plummy as my favorite...just for uttering the words "personal trouser area".

Also, Evil Superman commented on my blog for the first time a few days ago and I wanted to click on his blog to thank him and see what's up but he's gone!!

Someone organize a search party.

mo.stoneskin said...

I've been a terrible blogger this week, glad to have you back. The 'sometimes it is not convenient to hear' chap reminds me of my father-in-law whose hearing is entirely selective! Also, I have a friend whose dad actually has a hearing problem where he cannot hear the exact frequencies that his wife speaks in!

Lopez said...

OH how you have been missed, GI.

And my days have been so sad and gloomy, i'm sure the instances are related (you=missed, me=gloom)

Oh your job looks like it is going to provide much blog fodder and I am SO excited! I loved all of your mini stories today! I giggled when i read that the man was waiting to be offered a sherry! Ha!

Your phone convo w/ the old lady? I couldn't deal with that, I would have gotten so frustrated. So that seals it, I can never work at a hearing aid factory.

Anonymous said...

I LOVE your new job...what great blog fodder!

Mr Nagging-Wife? HILARIOUS...poor guy.

Mr Plummy...his dog is gay? LOL

Mrs Anonymous, the thing I love most about Mrs A is that she very well knew that she wouldn't be able to hear diddly-squat when she rang "insert company name here"...why bother indeed.

The best part of it all, is that you are able to see the humor in it all. There are so many people that are just willing to see the negative only...It's great to see your not one of them.

Also? I love that missing cat poster.

Nej said...

I'm officially jealous of this new job!!! I do horribly miss having a job that deals with the public. As they say, it takes all kinds to make a world. :-)

Yet said...

i like your clints. They seem like much fun!!

Prunella Jones said...

Ehhhh.....what? WHAT? Speak up, girlie, I can't hear you.

Girl Interrupted said...

Lost ... me too :) Stay tuned for more crazy old folk stories

Vic ... She hasn't phoned back yet, but I live in constant hope :P And thank you! :)

Mr C ... it's funny you say that ... I'm not always convinced that some of them are as deaf as they make out and I'm so tempted to test them with naughty words :P

Diane ... lol you could be right! Good call! xx

JJ ... I took an immediate liking to poor Mr Nagging-Wife, she looked so grumpy and tight-lipped, can't blame the old boy for preferring deafness lol

Prometheus ... nope, internet isn't gonna happen lol they can barely figure out how to use the phone.

I hope he's ok and comes back too :(


Coolred ... aw sounds nasty! At least it gave you a little peace and quiet for a short while though lol

words ... did you invent EVERYTHING???

Dominica lol ... you're so deliciously naughty!!! I'd happily risk being sacked to work with you :P

Jules ... hahaha ... how about that wv, eh??? :P spot on!

~E ... I loved that he said that too! He said it so straight-faced, it was just hilarious the way he talks, I hope he comes in often :P

Aww ... I wonder where he is! I'll send St Bernards out to track him down ;)


lol Mo ... they're clearly the 3 wise men. Sounds like you're having a busy week of it, hope you have a great weekend :)

Aww Lopez! ... don't be gloomy! The oompah loompah's are on their way with wheelbarrows full of chocolate and sunshine, just for you :P *hugs*

Harmony ... it really is so entertaining, and I think you have to find the humour in life as much as possible or it just wears you down :) Mrs A was a gem, a cantankerous gem, but a gem nonetheless :P

Nej ... it does indeed :) and I adore people (for the most part) they're so interesting.

Peggy ... haha!! :P Smartarse!!! Have a great weekend! :) xx

Yet ... hey :) thanks for stopping by! They are indeed, perfect blog-fodder ;)

Et tu Pru? lol ... I think you could be related to Mrs A!!

words...words...words... said...

So what if I did invent everything? Is that so hard to believe?? Hmm??

Girl Interrupted said...

lol *maintains diplomatic silence* ;)

Mr. Condescending said...

I wanna hear more stories!

Girl Interrupted said...

lol you're so demanding, Mr C!!

Stay tuned ;)

And have a great weekend!

Eric said...

Have a great weekend, cara mio ;)

Girl Interrupted said...

Grazie, e voi, Eric :) (hope that's right lol)

Eric said...

Molto bene!

All that and Italian too?

Normally, I like my women as I like my coffee. Tied up and thrown over a donkey by Juan Valdez... but for you, I make an exception... lol

Girl Interrupted said...

Haha Eric, that's now one of my most favourite comments, ever! :P

Nanc Twop said...

so great!

* you'll love this article... ;-)

Girl Interrupted said...

lol Nanc, don't you just love miscommunication! :P Thanks for sharing that.

The Kid In The Front Row said...

I continue to love your posts.. absolute old people hilarity. i'm actually writing a screenplay on that very subject too! :)

and i love the pictures you posted - although the video clip only got medium laughs from me.

keep up the good work. your blog is one of those rare blogs that it isn't an effort to post comments on!

Girl Interrupted said...

:) thanks, Kid ... glad you like it, and I appreciate the positive comments

Mr. Condescending said...

GI you should use the twitter!

Girl Interrupted said...

Good evening, Mr C ... I was wondering where you'd got to ;)

I'm still struggling with the whole to Twitter, or not to Twitter thing ... why do you think I should? Just for your entertainment? :P

Mr. Condescending said...

Good evening to you! Its horribly rainy here and quite boring.

Well you should twitter because I would enjoy it, just as you guessed!

I know how you are a working lass now and don't have as much time to blog so maybe that will help fill the void?

I think you would enjoy it. And I would too, so stop pussyfooting around and do it.

Girl Interrupted said...

Ha!

Ok ... here's what I'd put in my first Twitter post:

"Picking weevils out of flour"

There! Still want me to do it?

Mr. Condescending said...

If someone is watching me in the grossery store they would just have seen me laugh at my phone like a loser. So maybe you shouldn't do it.

Girl Interrupted said...

:P Classic case of "Be careful what you wish for", Mr C

Mr. Condescending said...

Yea I get what I want! And I want you to use twitter. And so does EVERYONE else.

Girl Interrupted said...

Twitter post #2: "Trying to spell Antidisestablishmentarianism backwards"

I really don't think they do ...

Mr. Condescending said...

Twitter post #3...man just came in with old time hearing aid!

#4...Just bit jelly packet!

Girl Interrupted said...

Twitter post #5 "Just sculpted the Eiffel Tower out of velveeta"

Twitter post #6 "Think I'll wear my pink tracksuit today"

Eric said...

Sculpting, sexy... cheesy...

Tracksuit!!! Careful, Mr. LS might call you a chav.

Girl Interrupted said...

Oh, I do hope so, Eric ... that's totally the look I'm aiming for!

Eric said...

:)
Well at least get the kind that helps show off the big gold necklaces.

Girl Interrupted said...

lol but of course! I'll be blingtastic!

Mr. Condescending said...

Eric do you agree she should twitter for us?

Eric said...

I don't know... if she does I'd follow probably because I have such a big dumb crush.

But, I understand it's a big undertaking to be constantly sharing via twitter. So let's let that be up to her...

Girl Interrupted said...

Ah, Eric ... ever the gentleman! :P

Mr C ... do you Twitter?

Mr. Condescending said...

To be honest, I don't know much about it other than I see it on some blogs and it shows what they are doing which I think is neat, I didn't think it was that demanding. I don't use it, but I'm not against it.

Eric, visualize her sculpting, painting, and twittering to you in italian and you will be hammering the hell out of her to start using it!

Girl Interrupted said...

lol I see ... your comments are appreciated and duly noted, Mr C ;)

Soda and Candy said...

Girl Interrupted! I have seen you commenting around the place but haven't got around to visiting you until now, which I did because of Wordsx3 pimping us all out!

And I'm glad I did! You are a fantastic(ally English) blogger.

I love the posh guy for using "bally"; I have been reading some historical novels lately and keep thinking in Regency English. Love it.

Tom said...

That's a very funny story. Few things are more aggravating than not being able to hear. I just ruptured an eardrum a couple days ago so I have been asking people to repeat themselves since I can only hear ringing in one ear. I know how your elderly patrons feel. I hope you continue to enjoy the new job.

Girl Interrupted said...

Soda & Candy ... :) thanks for stopping by, I'll be along to check out your blog asap (I've also seen your comments on other people's blogs and often chuckled over them) ... if you're thinking in Regency English then I like you already :P that's my absolute fave period of history.

Chaka ... Thank you :) And ouch! Sorry to hear about your injury :/ I'm sure it isn't quite so funny for people who actually have hearing problems ... they're just so comical about it and they do brighten my day :P

Mary@Holy Mackerel said...

Sounds a lot like trying to talk to my dad, who refused to admit that he had a hearing problem. We'd all have to yell at him all the time, and he still would misunderstand half of it!!

sas said...

I can recommend www.tshirthell.com
From which I have purchased such classics as:
'Can't sleep. Clowns will eat me'
'I'm what Willis was talkin' about' and
'I bought Christopher Reeve's Wheelchair on eBay'
xx

Girl Interrupted said...

lol Mary ... we had that with my Grandmother, we got her a hearing aid, which she wore but refused to switch on!!

Thanks for stopping by :)

sas ... OMG!!! I LOVE that site!!! Thank you! Hahaha ... I can totally relate to the clown one :/ ... I really do think clowns would eat me!

Lopez said...

I am so sad.

I thought after four days of not having signed on, I would have a new post from one of my favorite blog authors all nice and ready to read.

This job is getting in the way of your blog, i'm now convinced!!!

I haven't seen your jellybiter award yet...that is HILARIOUS. I love it!!!

Thanks for the sunshine, UKBFF!

Anonymous said...

I have a lot of t-shirts from T-Shirt Hell, they are truly ace. I get some very funny looks.

Hit 40 said...

So many thoughts...

I love that you can remember who is missing from blogland. I need a seating chart to figure out anything!!

I love that you are loving the old people!! So adorable.

I also loved your random picture jokes like nodick!!! Nice.

Girl Interrupted said...

Mr S ... :) welcome back, hope you had a nice holiday

Hit 40 ... :P thanks, glad you enjoyed it

diane said...

Hey, you've been "gone" just as long as me. You must be really busy with work. How's it going?

Girl Interrupted said...

:) Hey Diane, welcome back! I know :/ been a slacker, just sitting here trying to come up with something to post about :P

Things are ok, thanks :) Hope all is good with you? xx

John Smith said...

LOL

If I had a nickel for every time someone stuck their head in my 'personal trouser area' and I felt obligated to take them home.

When you think of it, why even have a phone for a company that sells hearing aids? If you can use one, you don't need one. I'm sure mrs. anonymous will be just one of a million with similar complaint.

Mr. Condescending said...

See GI, if you were here you could be reporting on all the trailers and white trash activities.

And if I was there, I would report on um, ummm, umm I don't know.

Peggy said...

Who are you trying to kid...you're not slacking! YOU FOUND A MAN haven't you? Comon! Details! Is he there tight now huh? Huh?

Girl Interrupted said...

John Smith ... lol sounds ... interesting!

Thanks for stopping by :)


Mr C ... you could report on jelly biting geriatrics with hearing problems?


Peggy ... hahaha :P ... "is he there 'tight' now?" What are you trying to say??? Although I have to admit my dream man would have to have "tight buns" as you guys say over there :P Buttocks to die for are a must!

Peggy said...

yeah, that was a typo...what I MEANT to say was does he have a.........cute butt? I love cute butts!

SSQuo said...

Youre going to have to take voice lessons it seems to strengthen your voice! :) That last phone conversation was funny!

Girl Interrupted said...

SSQuo ... that would probably help :P Thanks for stopping by :)

Haze said...

Thanx for the comment my blog and following. Love the google pics - very funny. Interestingly, the word verification that has just come up is odderful! I like it. xx

Alyson said...

You're right. I do believe people with wrinkles make great blogging material. The guy with the dog...that was awesome.